Password:
:: I forgot my password

Share | 

Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Charm City Justice wrote:
Sociopaths come from everywhere. The amount of people I assess who have absolutely no empathy for others is astonishing. I would love to have a sit down with Hernandez and try to get inside his head and figure out if he is a true sociopath or narcissist or something else entirely. And Bern and Carla, feel free to come to Baltimore anytime and I'll take you into whatever court you want. When actual legal arguments occur (not just the mundane pleas to drug charges) it is fascinating.

Wish I lived closer, I would so take you up on that.  It would be fun to pick your brain while watching the court in action. 

Being a business owner, I've been taken to small claims court with no attorneys.  Here, cases were done in blocks where mine was like 8-10am.  Therefore, you're sitting there watching other cases as you wait for yours.  While sitting there, I quickly learned that the judge just wanted the facts, not a bunch of talking, talking, talking that didn't get to the point.  The hard part is the nerves, and I think that's why people probably ramble on.  My case comes up, and I'm a nervous wreck too, but I kept telling myself, short & sweet.  Plaintiff starts and claims we damaged their car when we towed it, and rambles on.  It comes time for my defense.  I tell the judge I have a copy of the tow invoice with the truck number listed that did their tow, and I show pictures of how a car of their type is towed with that truck (I went to the dealership and loaded a car just like theirs and took pictures of how it was tied down).  The bailiff gave the judge all the pictures and I told him I can explain anything he may have questions about.  I talked less than a minute, was done, and I was still nervous. laughing  Pictures are worth a 1000 words I guess, and that is what won me the case.  Couldn't believe how fast it was done.  Days of nerves, sleepless the night before, and done in 10 minutes. 

Another time, I got called in to testify and this was for a car that was seized by the police that I towed. This was a case with the lawyers, but no jury.  I was basically there to create their chain of custody timeline, so it wasn't like I was grilled by cross-examination, or anything like that.  But again, nerve-wracking as hell going up there on the stand. laughing 

I'd love to get called on a jury one day to be involved in the whole process.  Whenever I get more free time in life, it'll be fun just to go see some live court cases to watch them play out in person.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 am

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I love court cases.  I wish I could be in that court room.

I'm with you Carla. I even used to watch the old Court TV channel and loved watching the live trials.

This seems like normal behavior to me LOL

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:04 am

This one in particular was intriguing...just given he was such a young talent, signed a huge deal and really had an opportunity to make something of himself. Just goes to show that money feeds into the thug life of some of these guys vs making the most of the opportunity they've been given.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:

I totally see the resemblance!   You're a bad man,  Russ!

I was only passing through Massachusetts that night. I swear.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 am

#FreeRuss

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 pm

#FreeAaron

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I get called for jury duty a lot and it's not worth your time.
1) most cases are just stupid/frivolous.
2) most jurors are dumb.
3) the lawyers think they're smarter than everyone in the room.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
2) most jurors are dumb.

Man, I really wanna get called for jury duty and actually get chosen. I'm probably too opinionated to get chosen though.

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:57 pm

2) most jurors are dumb.

Man, I really wanna get called for jury duty and actually get chosen.  I'm probably too opinionated to get chosen though.

I'd be the best juror. Guilty until proven innocent!
laughing
Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am

2) most jurors are dumb.

Han-Yang is right in most cases (Although in the case of #3, I think every person in the courtroom probably thinks they are smarter than everyone else). Every once in a while though, an actual legal argument between two very good lawyers with a thoughtful judge and it is fascinating, at least to me.

In terms of jury duty, I have never been called since I have lived in MD, which I find odd because my sister and father who have lived here much shorter periods of time have each been called (my father is there today actually). I keep waiting for a sheriff to show up at my door with handcuffs and tell me I have been neglecting my civic duty by failing to report for jury duty Even if I did get called, there is no way I would get chosen given what I do. No State's Attorney worth anything would let a social worker whose job it is to get people out of jail sit on their jury even if I would probably be more likely to convict than your standard citizen because there is no way they would believe that.

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:47 am

I have never been called for jury duty in my life. My wife has been called about 4 times and has been dismissed each time.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 am

Maple Grove Mean Machine wrote:
I have never been called for jury duty in my life. My wife has been called about 4 times and has been dismissed each time.

Lucky her. Got called in when I was 18, and it went to trial. A full week of garbage. Hated it, and people voted one way to get out of deliberation and back to work.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 am

I've always wanted to sit on a jury but doubt that I'll ever get a chance because I'm an attorney. At least one side is going to want me out of that room. I did get called once and had to sit in the box for 3 days while they picked the rest of the jurors. I tried to get out for several reasons but the judge kept me there. In the end the attorneys get to strike jurors without cause and I was the first to go. My friend's wife was also in the box and she was the second to get stricken from the jury.

I thought that I was going to get tossed in jail though. My boss was impatient that I was there and kept emailing me. I tried to discretely respond but the sheriff's officer kept catching me and kept telling me to put away the phone.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am

I have never been called for it (knock on wood) and don't want to....I don't believe it will go well at all. At a minimum it'll be a waste of my time because I don't think two attorneys would agree that they want me involved (either from appearance or something else) but I would make it quite clear that I think everyone in there can go fuck themselves. I consider it a broken system filled with dishonest people at every level and while I would clarify that I don't believe EVERYONE is dirty (guys like Russ for example despite what Ed says) there is enough of it that unless I get to be the judge with my own rules we should go our separate ways now.

The only question for me is do I get in trouble of my own. I feel like when the Prosecution presents their case....one well timed "What an idiot!" comment would get me outta there. lol 2

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:49 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I have never been called for it (knock on wood) and don't want to....I don't believe it will go well at all.  At a minimum it'll be a waste of my time because I don't think two attorneys would agree that they want me involved (either from appearance or something else) but I would make it quite clear that I think everyone in there can go fuck themselves.  I consider it a broken system filled with dishonest people at every level and while I would clarify that I don't believe EVERYONE is dirty (guys like Russ for example despite what Ed says) there is enough of it that unless I get to be the judge with my own rules we should go our separate ways now.

The only question for me is do I get in trouble of my own.  I feel like when the Prosecution presents their case....one well timed "What an idiot!" comment would get me outta there. lol 2

Nobody wants you on their jury! You'd never get out of the jury deliberation room, because you wouldn't stop yapping! scared

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Love being a juror. I have been called twice and served once. Was there 3 days. CONVICTED.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I have never been called for it (knock on wood) and don't want to....I don't believe it will go well at all.  At a minimum it'll be a waste of my time because I don't think two attorneys would agree that they want me involved (either from appearance or something else) but I would make it quite clear that I think everyone in there can go fuck themselves.  I consider it a broken system filled with dishonest people at every level and while I would clarify that I don't believe EVERYONE is dirty (guys like Russ for example despite what Ed says) there is enough of it that unless I get to be the judge with my own rules we should go our separate ways now.

The only question for me is do I get in trouble of my own.  I feel like when the Prosecution presents their case....one well timed "What an idiot!" comment would get me outta there. lol 2

Nobody wants you on their jury!  You'd never get out of the jury deliberation room, because you wouldn't stop yapping! scared

Maybe but I would pointing out why everyone in there would guilty.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

I don't believe EVERYONE is dirty (guys like Russ for example despite what Ed says)

I have nothing personal against Russ at all.  From all indications, he appears to be a pretty stand up guy.  Simply a FF rivalry against a passionate competitor.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:07 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
I don't believe EVERYONE is dirty (guys like Russ for example despite what Ed says)

I have nothing personal against Russ at all.  From all indications, he appears to be a pretty stand up guy.  Simply a FF rivalry against a passionate competitor.

Ahhh, the tune changes quickly with a week 1 loss the Brawlers quickly approaching.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

If I've read correctly, only guilty of possession of a firearm - not guilty on everything else. Sentenced to 4-5 years.

*still serving a life sentence, obviously.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 pm

That is Killer.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
That is Killer.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm sure he's having a great time tonight -- in jail -- celebrating the victory. Hopefully his cell "mate" is helping him celebrate all night long.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I'm sure he's having a great time tonight -- in jail -- celebrating the victory.  Hopefully his cell "mate" is helping him celebrate all night long.

Oh his cell mate is celebrating with Hernandez DEEP into the night.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 am

The AP wrote:
BREAKING: Prison official says former NFL star Aaron Hernandez hangs self in cell, pronounced dead at Massachusetts hospital.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:58 am

Wow!

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 am

It was only a matter of time, but still crazy.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:20 am

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 am

It's a shame that I'm not surprised when I hear stories like this. There are so many players that come to the NFL with a ton of talent but can't focus on the game to realize their full potential. I realize that it's tough to turn your back on family, entourages, friends, and associates but, in many cases, they hold back and tear down some of these players. It's not every player and there are many where family is a huge positive influence. And I realize that the NFL tries to offer assistance here. But I do think that there needs to be better coordination between team, league, and fellow players -- and even family -- to identify areas of need and get these guys help before we hear another story like Hernandez, Titus, Gordon, or even Tyron Smith.

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am

I for one am happy this appears to be over. I was fascinated by the trials, but he's such a piece of shit and didn't deserve anymore publicity.

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:18 am

Such a waste! no

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am

At least it'll save the Massachusetts tax payers some money.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
It's a shame that I'm not surprised when I hear stories like this.  There are so many players that come to the NFL with a ton of talent but can't focus on the game to realize their full potential.  I realize that it's tough to turn your back on family, entourages, friends, and associates but, in many cases, they hold back and tear down some of these players.  It's not every player and there are many where family is a huge positive influence.  And I realize that the NFL tries to offer assistance here.  But I do think that there needs to be better coordination between team, league, and fellow players -- and even family -- to identify areas of need and get these guys help before we hear another story like Hernandez, Titus, Gordon, or even Tyron Smith.

I think there is a pretty big difference between Hernandez/Titus and Gordon and Smith.  As far as I know (although I could be wrong), Gordon's problems have all been substance related.  In theory, substance issues can be treated and once he is sober he can begin to address the probable underlying psychiatric issues that led to the substance use in the first place.  I don't know of any psychiatric problems Smith had, and I think you are correct that he needed some kind of assistance in breaking unhealthy ties with his family (something that is much much much easier said than done).  Guys who have gone through similar things in the NFL could have been helpful to Smith and maybe even Gordon.  Hernandez and Titus Young appear to have deep seated personality disorders (either narcissistic or antisocial).  The NFL couldn't do anything about either of them if this is the case.  The amount of treatment required to address issues like this requires years of inpatient treatment with the best mental health professionals in the world and even then the prognosis is typically more along the lines of them conforming their behaviors but still not being truly "healed".  Good luck getting someone with a personality disorder to agree to that kind of treatment.  My guess is Hernandez and Young would be in prison whether they made it to the NFL or not.

Thus ends psychology 101 with Bill that no one signed up for.

thread jacked

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 am

At least it'll save the Massachusetts tax payers some money.

Aaron "always thinking of others" Hernandez.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am

What wasted potential

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm

At least his lawyer got him found not guilty of the 2013 murder last week... Got a little more money out of the bum before he did this.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

A fitting "end" to a tragic story...tragic for the lives he touched "snuffed".

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:46 pm

The AP wrote:
BREAKING: Prison official says former NFL star Aaron Hernandez hangs self in cell, pronounced dead at Massachusetts hospital.

I dont understand how this happens in prison. It isnt like they give you elevated hanging hooks.....the rooms are basically empty.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
The AP wrote:

I dont understand how this happens in prison.  It isnt like they give you elevated hanging hooks.....the rooms are basically empty.

Tied a bed sheet to a window is the report. In Baltimore if you are thought to be suicidal you are put in a cell, stripped of all your clothes and sheets and given a smock to keep warm. In regular cells there are plenty of ways to do it if you wanted to.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:37 pm

smile and wave

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Where there's a will, there's a way I guess

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:44 am

So now there is this.  I wonder if he knew this and it played any role in his decision to hang himself.

Eric Levenson on cnn.com wrote:
Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction is expected to be dismissed posthumously because of a legal rule called "abatement."

Here is the link to the full article.  I get the whole innocent until proven guilty idea behind this law, but he was proven guilty.  I think this is just a slap in the face to Odin Lloyd's family.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 am

So now there is this.  I wonder if he knew this and it played any role in his decision to hang himself.

Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction is expected to be dismissed posthumously because of a legal rule called "abatement."

Here is the link to the full article.  I get the whole innocent until proven guilty idea behind this law, but he was proven guilty.  I think this is just a slap in the face to Odin Lloyd's family.

Full disclosure -- I didn't read your link.

But I think that the purpose behind this rule was to prevent unnecessary appeals. Appellate review is limited in most jurisdictions to varying degrees. But all provide numerous avenues of appeal of murder convictions. Here, Hernandez's appeal of the murder conviction was still pending. In the absence of any law, rule, or statute, they could continue to prosecute the appeal, and thereby waste judicial resources. Of course, the State would argue that the appeal is mooted (i.e. no more controversy) because of his death, but his family could argue that they want to clear his name, etc. By voiding the conviction this argument disappears and the appeals can cease.

This doesn't leave the victim's family without recourse. They could still pursue civil remedies. But, in that context, the ability to seek appellate review is significantly curtailed and this matter can come to a close quickly.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

Full disclosure -- I didn't read your link.

But I think that the purpose behind this rule was to prevent unnecessary appeals.  Appellate review is limited in most jurisdictions to varying degrees.  But all provide numerous avenues of appeal of murder convictions.  Here, Hernandez's appeal of the murder conviction was still pending.  In the absence of any law, rule, or statute, they could continue to prosecute the appeal, and thereby waste judicial resources.  Of course, the State would argue that the appeal is mooted (i.e. no more controversy) because of his death, but his family could argue that they want to clear his name, etc.  By voiding the conviction this argument disappears and the appeals can cease.

This doesn't leave the victim's family without recourse.  They could still pursue civil remedies.  But, in that context, the ability to seek appellate review is significantly curtailed and this matter can come to a close quickly.

That is an excellent point that is not covered in the article (go figure that CNN doesn't provide a key piece of information) and I did not think about. I still feel as if the victim's family comes off the worst in this as an upheld conviction would almost guarantee a successful civil suit and the absence of one makes it more difficult for them. I also feel like they are now sitting in a situation where no one was ever convicted for killing their loved one. While I hope to never have to experience something like this personally, I think that in at least some circumstances the conviction might provide some closure. I will admit though that there is a compelling argument to be made that the resources allocated to attempting to affirm the conviction of a deceased man, given all the other problems society is facing, is wasteful.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am

I ended up reading the article and it did bring up a good point of erring on the side of innocence.

As for the victim's family, I would be more upset about the 2nd murder trial. I don't have any inside knowledge but, if Hernandez actually had enough money, that defense had to cost somewhere between $200,000-500,000. That's money that could have gone to the family. The State likely spent over $100,000-$200,000 in resources (the prosecutor is a salaried employee, as are medical examiners, etc.) as well.

I'm not sure of the status of the civil case but the family should have been able to file the case and get it to judgment by now. To the extent that they haven't, it is likely because someone determined that there was no money to get and they didn't push it quickly enough.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

In the fictitious land where I rule over things, hanging yourself in prison is equal to giving up the fight which is the same as admission of guilt. No more appeals would be heard. The victims family would receive anything they're due had the departed not folded their hand and lost the case in a traditional manner.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 am

In the fictitious land where I rule over things, hanging yourself in prison is equal to giving up the fight which is the same as admission of guilt.  No more appeals would be heard.  The victims family would receive anything they're due had the departed not folded their hand and lost the case in a traditional manner.

I have limited experience representing criminal defendants. But, what I have noticed is that a conviction is tougher on the truly innocent. Plea bargains are even tougher. It's tough to have to discuss accepting a conviction and jail time for a crime you didn't commit because of the possibility of a much longer sentence. Add in loss of reputation, family, friends, lifestyle, etc. and it's understandable how tough it can be on the innocent. I'm not saying that he is innocent but I would think that a larger percentage of "innocent" people commit suicide in prison than "guilty" -- once you factor out socioeconomic and other factors.

I am surprised by this because Hernandez seems like the type of guy that would have thrived (in a bad way) in a prison setting. He had celebrity, he had the gang affiliations, he was charismatic. I heard somewhere (maybe here) that he might have used a synthetic drug, which would have clouded his judgment.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
In the fictitious land where I rule over things, hanging yourself in prison is equal to giving up the fight which is the same as admission of guilt.  No more appeals would be heard.  The victims family would receive anything they're due had the departed not folded their hand and lost the case in a traditional manner.

I have limited experience representing criminal defendants.  But, what I have noticed is that a conviction is tougher on the truly innocent.  Plea bargains are even tougher.  It's tough to have to discuss accepting a conviction and jail time for a crime you didn't commit because of the possibility of a much longer sentence.  Add in loss of reputation, family, friends, lifestyle, etc. and it's understandable how tough it can be on the innocent.  I'm not saying that he is innocent but I would think that a larger percentage of "innocent" people commit suicide in prison than "guilty" -- once you factor out socioeconomic and other factors.

I am surprised by this because Hernandez seems like the type of guy that would have thrived (in a bad way) in a prison setting.  He had celebrity, he had the gang affiliations, he was charismatic.  I heard somewhere (maybe here) that he might have used a synthetic drug, which would have clouded his judgment.

I read this on DLF today but have not searched for it elsewhere to verify what I read. That same post also indicated that he had painted something biblical in nature on his forehead in blood. If in fact Hernandez was high/hallucinating at the time of his suicide, any search for a rationale for his decision could very well end there as K2 can cause some people to do some seriously messed up things.

In terms of suicide in prison, you reasoning seems sound, although I would think finding data might be difficult because indisputable proof that someone is innocent would need to be obtained posthumously in order for the data to be accurate.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

I have limited experience representing criminal defendants.  But, what I have noticed is that a conviction is tougher on the truly innocent.  Plea bargains are even tougher.  It's tough to have to discuss accepting a conviction and jail time for a crime you didn't commit because of the possibility of a much longer sentence.  Add in loss of reputation, family, friends, lifestyle, etc. and it's understandable how tough it can be on the innocent.  I'm not saying that he is innocent but I would think that a larger percentage of "innocent" people commit suicide in prison than "guilty" -- once you factor out socioeconomic and other factors.

I am surprised by this because Hernandez seems like the type of guy that would have thrived (in a bad way) in a prison setting.  He had celebrity, he had the gang affiliations, he was charismatic.  I heard somewhere (maybe here) that he might have used a synthetic drug, which would have clouded his judgment.

Well in the same fictitious land where I rule over things, many other things would be different as well. Many "problems" of today are the result of the system in place. I would solve said problems.
Cool

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I am surprised by this because Hernandez seems like the type of guy that would have thrived (in a bad way) in a prison setting.  He had celebrity, he had the gang affiliations, he was charismatic.

Perhaps you could sum up your feelings on this in a haiku.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)   

Back to top Go down

Aaron Hernandez (Convicted Murderer)
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: